Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
A Cast of Thousands… of Talented Event Enthusiasts
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion –
Red Barn Productions DEI Plan
At Red Barn Productions, we believe in equity as a way of life. Our art and our craft has always been based in the knowledge that joyous, creative encounters between people can truly change lives for the better. As a production company, we strive to use our voice and our resources in ways that create a positive impact on our audiences, our community of artists and artisans, and the larger society of which we are a part.
Knowing this, we seek to understand and expose oppression, to address historic injustices, and to transform harmful power dynamics through respect and honest communication. We actively endeavor to dismantle systemic bias by creating artistic and leadership opportunities for members of our diverse Bay Area performing community. We recognize that this work is ongoing, and we are committed to a creative process that honors the many facets of human experience. As RBP’s DEI plan takes shape, we will publish the concrete actions we are taking in our Progress Reports section. We invite you to check there for updates.
A Statement from Red Barn Executive Director Kevin Patterson
As a co-founder of Red Barn Productions and producer of The Great Dickens Christmas Fair and other immersive theatrical experiences, I wish to voice our clear and unwavering support for Black communities in condemning the killing of George Floyd, Ahmaud Arbery, Breonna Taylor and far too many others. Black Lives Matter.
Until recently, I had failed to fully grasp the ways in which the systemic racism in our culture also affected the Red Barn community. Through conversations with artists and artisans, I now understand that we are not immune to the toxins of racism and other forms of discrimination, and that it falls to me and to Red Barn’s artistic leadership to do the work necessary to create a culture that is antiracist, antisexist, and affirming to all.
As owner and manager, I take full responsibility for this and pledge to do the work necessary to improve personally and professionally. I am humbled by the bravery and dedication of the BIPOC cast members who have cared enough about the event to ask
We recognize that anti-racist work requires action throughout all parts of our community. The work of deepening our anti-racist education must be combined with purposeful specific changes to promote racial equity within our entire organization. That is what we offer here: an intention to gather, build, and act on a clear anti-racist agenda, now and going forward.
– Kevin Patterson, Executive Director
Social Justice Resources
Recent events call upon us as artists to dispense with “good enough” and reimagine our institutions, our communities, and our economic systems through the lens of genuine equality. As Red Barn Productions works to formulate a plan of action with and for our participants, we offer these resources for valuable information, trainings, and thought leadership. Please donate, educate, and participate:
- As a member of Theatre Bay Area (TBA), Red Barn Productions supports the health of the theatre community throughout the region. TBA has excellent resources on Harassment and Anti-Racism. We encourage everyone to take the time to explore and share these resources.
- NAACP Legal Defense and Education Fund: The legal arm of this national anti-racism nonprofit. Please consider donating to their legal defense fund.
- Americans for the Arts: This national organization’s “Cultural Equity” website page offers tools and templates to assist with cultural equity in the arts, as well as reports and equity training consultants.
- Showing Up For Racial Justice (SURJ): SURJ is a national justice organization with a specific Bay Area division; it holds Action Hours every Monday and Friday to train Bay Area residents in collective political action.
- Shuumi Land Tax: A voluntary annual contribution that non-Indigenous people living on the Confederated Villages of Lisjan’s (Ohlone) territory can make to support the critical work of the Sogorea Te’ Land Trust.
- List of Anti-Racism Resources: A collection of resources for those just beginning their personal anti-racism journey. Check back for new additions!